Honoring Americans Who Make a Difference by Volunteering
Troop 39 offers THE best scouting experience in Chapel Hill. One of the things that sets this troop aside is your ability as a scout, leader or committee member to earn the Presidential Volunteer Service Award with the troop.
Details of the award are available on the PVSA web site however the troop encourages all its members to commit to serve a minimum of 25 hours of service each calendar year. Scouts and adults members who give 25 or more hours into service work benefiting the community beyond the troop but performed as part of a troop service project or being a scout of troop 39 is eligible.
Eligible activities include:
- Your Eagle Scout project including planning, fundraising, construction
- Other’s Eagle Scout projects – hours you spend working on someone else’s Eagle project, whether they are in Troop 39 or not!
- Voluntary mulching, e.g. at UUMC
- Touch a Truck (you are raising money for UNC Children’s Hospital)
- Fundraising for a project such as Mountains to Sea Trial.
- Special Olympics
- Order of the Arrow volunteerism e.g. your work as a Chapter or lodge leader, your ordeal, being an Elangomat, serving on a ceremony team, working in the camp kitchen etc.
- Any other activity performed through the troop that benefits others outside the troop
The group award level is as follows. Each member of the group needs to perform a minimum of 25 hours to arn recognition for the award.
- Bronze: 200-499 hours
- Silver: 500 to 999 hours
- Gold: 1000 or more hours
|Year||youth members earning the award||adult members earning the award||total members earning the award||level earned||Total hours|
|2014 (YTD)||10||6||16||Gold (=)||1550|
|2013||21 (-14%)||13 (+30%)||34 (=)||Gold (=)||2234 (+22%)|
|2012||24 (+14%)||10 (+43%)||34 (+21%)||Gold (=)||1834 (+21%)|