Den Chief Position description
The Den Chief helps Cub Scouts advance through Cub Scout ranks and encourages Cub Scouts to join a Scouts BSA troop upon graduation.
Reports to Assistant Senior Patrol Leader (ASPL)
- Knows the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Helps Cub Scouts achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Serves as the activities assistant at den meetings.
- Sets a good example through attitude and uniforming.
- Is a friend to the scouts in the den.
- Helps lead weekly den meetings.
- Helps the den in its part of the monthly pack meeting.
- Knows the importance of the monthly theme and pack meeting plans.
- Meets regularly with the den leader to review den and pack meeting plans. Meets as needed with adult members of the den, pack, and troop.
- Receives training from the den leader (and Cubmaster or Assistant Cubmaster) and attend Den Chief Training.
- Encourages Cub Scouts to become Webelos Scouts when they are eligible.
- Encourages Cub Scouts to join a Scouts BSA troop upon graduation.
- Helps the Denner and assistant denner to be leaders.
- Enthusiastically and correctly wears the Scout uniform (all four parts).
- Lives by the Scout Oath and Law.
- Shows Scout spirit
Successful Completion of the Requirements
- Maintains 75% attendance to weekly troop meetings and troop outings
- Attends at least 75% of den and pack activities that do not have schedule conflicts with troop meetings or activities (confirmed by Den Leader). Overnight den or pack activities are not considered towards this requirement, since the den chief would not normally be able to attend those.
- Knows at least the first names of all the cub scouts in his den (extra credit if they also knows their last names!)
- Receives positive evaluation from Den Leader after serving for at least four months (Star rank requirement) or six months (Life rank requirement). ASM advisor will contact Den Leader for this evaluation.
- Completes four review meetings with ASM advisor while Den Chief – before, during, or after scheduled troop events
- Annual Review by Scoutmaster for Scout spirit, Oath, & Law assessment