For a Patrol Leader and Assistant Patrol Leader to earn the leadership credit for their position their patrol must earn the National Honor Patrol Award at least once in the scouting year.
The requirements for the National Honor Patrol Award are:
- Have a patrol name, flag, and yell. Put the patrol design on equipment and use the patrol yell. Keep patrol records up-to-date.
- Hold two patrol meetings each month.
- Take part in at least one hike, outdoor activity, or other Scouting event.
- Complete two Good Turns or service projects approved by the patrol leaders’ council.
- Help two patrol members advance in rank.
- Have at least 75 percent of members in full uniform at troop activities.
- Have a representative attend at least three patrol leaders’ council meetings.
- Have eight members in the patrol or experience an increase in patrol membership.