Merchants Millpond Canoe Trip

We left from Southern Village Friday night and had about a three hour drive up to Merchants Millpond State Park in Gatesville, NC.  When we arrived, we set up our tents and other troop gear and everyone was in bed by 10:30 pm.

We were awakened by our PLs, SPLs and ASPLs around 7:00 am Saturday morning and we got out of our tents ready to make our dehydrated breakfast.  Once we finished with breakfast, we packed up our backpacks and took down our tents.  Each person was assigned a canoeing partner and then the partners were given a canoe, two lifejackets and two paddles.

Our trip on the canoe took about 45 minutes.  We followed color-coded buoys to our campsite.  In the front, three canoes merged together to make one big super canoe.  Unfortunately, no one saw any alligators or fell in on the way there.  Ha ha.

Once we arrived at the campsite, we set up our tents and ate lunch.  Since it was only about 1:00 pm, scouts had the rest of the day to themselves to do whatever they wanted.  Most of the scouts canoed some more around the area to explore but others opted to just stay at the campsite and hangout or rest.

While a group of us were island hunting, Kunal and Sam’s canoe capsized when they tried to pull it onto land, leaving the two fully submerged in the water.  Eshan and I docked our canoe so we could help get the water out of their canoe and get it back on the water.  After about 20 minutes, they were ready to go island hunting with us some more.

We got back to the campsite around 5:00 pm, had dinner and then spent several hours telling jokes by the campfire.  Most of us went to bed around 9:00 pm because we knew we were going to have an early wake up time.

Wake up time was at 6 am on Sunday.  That was early and it was COLD.  We broke down our tents, did a police line, and we were on our way to Golden Corral.  It took us about two hours to get there.  After about an hour and a wonderful all-you-can eat buffet, we had another hour until we arrived back at Southern Village and unpacked the trailer to head home.

Overall, it was a fun and successful trip.

Historian: Max Butler